PBIS: Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports
What is PBIS?
- PBIS is a research-based, school-wide systems approach to improve school climate and
create safer and more effective schools.
- PBIS IS a process. PBIS IS NOT a program or a curriculum.
- The process focuses on improving a school’s ability to teach expectations and support positive behavior for all students.
- PBIS provides systems for schools to design, implement, and evaluate effective schoolwide, classroom, non-classroom, and student-specific discipline plans.
- PBIS is a team-based process for data review, data-based problem solving and intervention, ongoing planning, and monitoring of interventions.
- PBIS implementation includes school-wide procedures and processes intended for: ALL students, ALL staff and in ALL settings. This includes individual classrooms and teachers AND non-classroom settings and related staff.